EngSim had the privilage to partner up with Generac for a project that was presented at the 2021 CONVERGE User Conference, "Virtual prototyping and flow analysis of a generator enclosure using CONVERGE CFD."
- EngSim worked with Generac to use 3D CFD to virtually prototype generator enclosures.
- System pressure calibration was done in the CFD environment to evaluate the possible flow rate through the enclosure and compare it with the minimum threshold demanded by heat transfer requirements.
- First phase simulation results gave the team an idea of velocity magnitudes in the enclosure, which were compared against a max threshold as a surrogate for noise levels.
- Improvements were made to the enclosure geometry and simulated to confirm performance against the flow and velocity magnitude limits.
- A hot flow simulation enabled the team to visualize hot zones and critical areas for thermocouple locations.
- An iterative process led to a 21.3% increase in available flow rate and a 19.1% drop in critical velocity magnitude in the enclosure.
- PSimulation enabled the Generac team to minimize physical prototype iterations and accelerate the development cycle time.